Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Will There Be Scars in Heaven?


It is said that in Heaven all things are made new and perfect.

But, I think I'd like to keep my scars if I can.  They reveal the journey of life like a roadmap on my skin.

There is the very visible scar in my left eyebrow.  A reminder of a basketball game when a team mate and I went up for a rebound and I came down with the ball and her teeth embedded in my face.  That girl has gone to Jesus now but I can never forget her because I carry her mark on me.

Later in life, after having my daughter I had a tubal ligation....I already had my boy and with the birth of my daughter, my family was complete....and perfect for that time.  I'll keep that one as a lasting reminder of a joyous day and my deepest commitment in life to my children.

When my thyroid decided to try to kill me, I said goodbye to it.  No one needs to stay on that emotional roller coaster, losing their hair along with vast amount of weight.  Walking around like a living skeleton was no life.  Hand tremors and all sorts of not fun door prizes left me over it.  So, can I keep that one as a reminder that I got to live?  There was a time that wasn't a sure thing.

The scar that runs the length of my nose on the right side is a testament of what one has to do if they spend too much time in the sun with unprotected skin.  That one was a real hurting one, but now I'm the only one that really knows it is there.

The tiny little scar on my chin happened when I fell asleep with Charley on the couch.  That was the day I learned a schnauzer's ability to go from sound asleep to blast off with no warning.  Charley left life too soon, so I'll keep his parting gift if I may.

The recently healed open wound in my left knee will serve as evidence that once a person reaches a certain age, they really need to remember to go cautiously through life.  I'm gonna need that one....even in Heaven....I think I will have a tendency to go banging around a bit.

And then....all the little knicks and scrapes and scars on my hands, arms and legs that have been left by jumping playing puppies, teething baby dogs and rough housing bigger fellows.  Please, please let me have those still as each one was left not in anger but in careless acts of reckless abandon playtime.

I will even keep the scars that don't show....you know the ones inside....the ones that really hurt...the ones on my heart.  Hearts are stronger after a break, scar tissue isn't pretty but it is tough.  I've had some breaks, but they've healed and they've made me softer, kinder, gentler and more understanding.  God, you don't need to worry  yourself with those either.....I'm good with them.

Maybe here on this planet, I am earning a small set of wings.  I doubt there will be a crown but I've always fancied a tiara....maybe I'll get one of those.  And, perhaps God will give me a little tiny place to occupy and he will fill it with my people and my dogs.

I want to be that slightly disheveled thrown together angel with messy hair and dirty feet spending my eternity with my scars because I earned them all and they are part of who I am




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phantom Ghost Poop

 It wouldn't be Halloween and it wouldn't be spooky if there weren't those stories that were simply unexplainable. Those random ...